using dump

Burke, Thomas G. tg.burke at ngc.com
Wed Apr 6 17:56:08 UTC 2005

Sounds good.  I was never able to afford a tape drive big enough to cover my system, and that never seems to change as the system evolves with time (e.g. getting more data on the system)...  I had a really nast crash about 1 or 2 years ago, & I lost some data that was not replaceable.  (ya, I know better, but what can I do when $$ are the norrow part of the pipe?)

Anyhoo, just got a little something extra in the paycheck & went out & bought one of those new Seagate 160GB USB 2.0 hard disks.  Seems to be working well, much cheaper than a tape, & I can carry it from machine to machine, if need be.  I've got it attached to a WinXP box (I don't think RedHat 6.2 will support, but who knows?), & I can mount it over samba to do a "background" backup overnight while no one is using the machine.

I looked briefly at a SAN drive that would plug directly into an ethernet port, but it was more than my "something extra," so I had to defer.  Also, being the realist I usually am, I figured I'd end up using it as another data drive & then I'd have something else to back up...

    -Tom