SSH2

Patrick Campbell PCampbell at ourvacationstore.com
Wed Apr 6 21:48:43 UTC 2005

Another good practice is to turn off root logins;

In /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

PermitRootLogin no

I believe this is set to "yes" by default on RedHat (at least RH9 it is
defaulted to yes).

The chances of someone guessing your login, and your password are pretty
small.   For me they need to find the port, guess the login and password.  A
default nmap of my host will not yield anything at all because it's on a
port that is not only non-standard but isn't the standard for any other
service.  You could check out /nmap/nmap-services and pick a port that isn't
listed there.

--
Patrick Campbell
OurVacationStore.com