Sendmail doesn't recognize the old users password after migration of RedHat 9 to RedHat Enterprise 3

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Apr 7 11:54:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:58:57AM +0200, Salvador Santander Guti?rrez wrote:
> We've installed a new linux server with RedHat Enterprise 3 and we want to
> migrate our old linux server based on RedHat 9
> The only problem we've found is, after copying all the mail users from
> passwd and shadow files from the old server, in the new server Sendmail
> doesn't recognize the old users password. But if we create a user from
> webmin or adduser command with the same password, the users can receive and
> send mail without problems.

Sendmail has no concept of a users password - it's simply a mail
transport.  Are you saying that you have a user on your system (you can
finger the user) but sendmail won't deliver e-mail?

Did you also copy over the users home directories?

What do your logs (messages,secure,maillog) say about the mail delivery
attempt?

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA