up2date on kernel

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Thu Apr 7 20:03:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 02:56:49PM -0500, Pettit, Paul wrote:
> > David Bear wrote:
> >
> > it looks that up2date has kernel selected to ignore. I am wondering
> > why.
> >

> Because the 'stock' kernels that up2date would download may not be right
> for your (or many other) setup. Also up2date does updates to currently
> installed packages, when "updating" a kernel you should *install* (rpm
> -i) new kernel packages not upgrade. This is to ensure that if the new
> kernel is not going to work on your box you can just boot to the
> previously working one.
>
> In general it's recommended that you manually "upgrade" to new kernels
> thus to make sure nothing bad happens.

thanks for the info.  While checking whether up2date is running or
not, I have verified the rhnsd is running. Does it put something in
syslog if there are a) no updates b) some failure to connect c) kernel
updates that should be installed manually? I've looked in
/var/log/messages but don't see anything that is tagged rhnsd. I've
looked in /var/log/up2date and that just contains the info from the
last successfull run.

--
David Bear
phone: 	480-965-8257