OT - legacy distros

keith morse kgmorse at mpcu.com
Sat Apr 9 06:19:06 UTC 2005

Michael Scully wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> 	I support one older site with a Caldera Linux installation.  I need
> to add a JRE for some Java, but I have dependency issues - 5 to be exact.
> One of them is a glibc that I suspect is a show stopper.  But as you know,
> Caldera is the dreaded SCO Group, and they have dropped any availability of
> Linux code from their website.
>
> 	I'm not their hardware and O/S vendor, and I can't quickly make the
> switch on this older hardware to RHEL, which would be my preference.  So I
> was hoping to find these RPM's elsewhere.  This is a 2.2.14 kernel.  My
> dependencies are:
>
>         glibc >= 2.1.2-11 is needed by j2re-1.4.2_08-fcs
>         sh-utils >= 2.0-1 is needed by j2re-1.4.2_08-fcs
>         fileutils >= 4.0-8 is needed by j2re-1.4.2_08-fcs
>         gawk >= 3.0.4-1 is needed by j2re-1.4.2_08-fcs
>         textutils >= 2.0-2 is needed by j2re-1.4.2_08-fcs
>
> Does anyone know the best way to find them?  I am also not sure of the exact
> file name syntax to look for these packages.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Scully

No direct answer to your problem, but I would suggest checking out the mail
list linux-users at linux-sxs.org.  The list was created by a group of
Caldera gearheads that got pissed about the way Caldera was managing the
distro prior to the SCO debacle.  Several of them still use Caldera in some
form.  List volume is about equal the current redhat-list.