MySQL in installed but mysqld nowhere to be found!!!!

Evan Panagiotopoulos epanagio at pcsd.k12.ny.us
Sat Apr 9 21:37:57 UTC 2005

This is VERY confusing!!!!! I bought and installed the Red Hat
enterprise version thinking that I will be  getting a "better"
product. During the installation I selected ALL packages under mysql
and almost all packages from the rest of the optional ones. The rpm
product of RedHat _should_ find all dependencies. Well, I issue the
command "mysql" and I receive "ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local
MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
"

ps -A does not show a mysqld.

mysqld in not under init.d

mysqld does not appear anywhere on my computer.

ps -aux | grep mysqld returns nothing

Where is the mysql process?

Then, I call RedHat, since I have some sort of support, and after I
punched 1, then 3, then 2, then 22 on the phone, I got a stupid
message stating that their offices are closed on Saturdays! And I
thought Microsoft was evil.

At any rate, now that I have a load of software installed I will
probably have to re-install and this time I will select to install
all packages.

Love,

Evan