MySQL in installed but mysqld nowhere to be found!!!!

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Apr 10 01:56:11 UTC 2005

Evan Panagiotopoulos wrote:
> Thanks for the information and for taking time to help me.
>
> By the way, I downloaded the mysql-server package, which allowed me
> to start the server.

Very good....

> I have been a loyal RedHat customer for over 10 years and I like to
> see their products improve. They should try to improve on their
> documentation and customer relations. If you choose to install MySQL
> there is a good possibility that you will run the server.

I don't agree with your statements.....

While it is probably true the you will run a MySQL server, in large
deployments you have many more clients than your do servers.  So, I
think that on any system you'd more likely need client stuff.

As for "Documentation".... the Description of
mysql-3.23.58-15.RHEL3.1.i386.rpm clearly states (Last sentence is your
clue):

MySQL is a multi-user, multi-threaded SQL database server. MySQL is a
client/server implementation consisting of a server daemon (mysqld)
and many different client programs and libraries. This package
contains the MySQL client programs, the client shared libraries, and
generic MySQL files.

While the mysql-server-3.23.58-16.RHEL3.1.i386.rpm that you had trouble
to locate has a description that reads:

MySQL is a true multi-user, multi-threaded SQL database server. MySQL
is a client/server implementation that consists of a server daemon
(mysqld) and many different client programs and libraries. This
package contains the MySQL server and some accompanying files and
directories.

As for "customer relationships" well...you didn't get there to find out
what kind of customer relationships they have as they weren't open.
Kind of like complaining about the person behind the counter at Macy's
when the doors to the mall haven't been opened yet.  Oh, and did you
read the sign on the Mall that has its business hours?  Yes, you did.
But you didn't read the documentation that Red Hat does provide.

I know their hours of operation...cause I read the docs.

BTW, you got a nice reply from Michael who obviously works for Red Hat
and should be enjoying his weekend in Brisbane....if that isn't
dedication and customer service then....

FWIW, I've gotten myself in to pickle once or twice...  But I only had
the "Web Support" contract.....response time was shown as....

2 Business Days Web/Email

I fully expected it to take that long....but it didn't.  Somebody at
Redhat...like Michael...responded to my Web Support Request on the
weekend.  Good service, out of hours.  (YMMV....and it won't happen all
the time....)

> Why do they install the httpd startup script and not mysqld? I am NOT
> trying to be a pain, I simply don't understand why do I have to learn
> from a listserve about channels and not have this explained in the
> documentation. If the two wonderful members of this list did not
> respond to my query, I would be pulling the few hairs I have left
> wondering why MySQL does not work.

I think you need to spend more time on the Red Hat Network site.  :-)
The infos are there...

> Nevertheless, RedHat should be careful and try not to alienate their
> customers by providing unfriendly solutions.

I think you are offbase.  Sorry....

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools."

--Ford Prefect in "Mostly Harmless".