Control Panel

Chris Kenward kenwardc at tgis.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 23:35:33 UTC 2005

Hi Ed

> We help because we're nice in the first place, not because anybody
> pays us to help.

I understand that - that's not how Jason's post came across to me. Although
I'm pretty clued up in the Windows arena, I'm still a beginner when it comes
to Linux but am trying hard to shorted the learning curve as much as I can
by asking questions, like "what control panels are there out there and which
are recommended". I didn't expect to be told tersely to talk to the customer
first - I was honestly expecting help in the form of suggestions (such as
those you made, Ed - thank you) as to which would be best. That's all.

> By attacking him, you've shortened the list of people that can
> really help you.

I didn't see it as an attack, but merely as a rebuke for being brusque. On
the many forums I inhabit where people are naturally helpful, someone would
have gently suggested I put the quoted message at the top and the reply
underneath - rather than simply to say "stop top posting" and assume the
beginner knows exactly what is meant by that.

Apologies to Jason if I was over the top!

Regards
Chris