Freeing unused kernel memory - Solved??

Burke, Thomas G. tg.burke at ngc.com
Mon Apr 11 13:11:45 UTC 2005

During 6.x and early 7.x, there was an upgrade to RPM and db3

the db3 database is not compatible with the older database, and neither is rpm compatible with the older rpms.

Having just completely reinstalled my 6.2 system, I can easily recall that you install the new db3 packages, then install the new rpm packages, and then you have to do a "rpm --rebuilddb" so it will convert all the old stuff into the new database.  Then you go ahead & install the newer stuff.  I imagine that either you have a new rpm file and the old rpm executable, or more likely, a new rpm & db3 with an old rpm file.  I would look for a newer version of the rpm to solve this.

    -Tom