Managing WinSCP users

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Apr 14 11:52:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:47:15PM -0700, Edward Sohn wrote:
> I want to have my clients use WinSCP to upload/download files securely to my
> Linux box.  To do this, I think I need to set up usernames/passwords so that
> they can log into their space and upload/download freely.  However, I also
> want to make sure they cannot access any other share than the one assigned
> to them, including not being able to CD up to the root directory.

This is not currently supported by openssh.  You're essentially looking
for a chroot'ed ssh/scp environment and that's not currently a priority
in the ssh development community.  Yes, it's been a standard for FTP for
years and one of the reasons I actually prefer ftp over scp.

There are a couple of projects out there that may help you - jailshell
and scponly.  I don't have the jailshell url handly but the scponly home
page is at http://www.sublimation.org/scponly/

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA