terminal server recommendation?

Pettit, Paul ismanager at ccbnpts.com
Mon Apr 18 15:03:25 UTC 2005

> Noah wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> well I am needing some more remote control to my machines at my colo
> facility.  can you possibly recommend a really nice terminal server?

If your only looking to have remote control the best thing to do is to
simply use SSH and have an account on the target server(s) with the needed
rights (or just 'su -' to root after you are connected) to do what you need
to do. Once in it's like you are at a terminal.

SSH is fairy secure and comes installed by default on RedHat linux. For more
info go here: http://www.openssh.org/. Be sure and read the documentation
and use the SSH2 protocol and not the SSH1. The SSH1 is not considered
secure and has some bugs.

For the client end look at Putty
(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) for a windows
workstation. For a linux client use ssh (surprise!) with the command 'ssh
[options] host [command]', see 'man ssh' for more details.

> also what about remote power cyclers?  any clues here?

Google is handy on this subject as well:
http://www.google.com/search?q=remote+power+cycle. If your CoLo is willing
to have a solution installed there are many manufactures that should be able
to give you the functionality you need.

> cheers,
>
> Noah

Paul Pettit
CTO and IS Manager
Consistent Computer Bargains Inc.

I've heard it said that the proof of lunacy is when you repeat the same
steps expecting different results.  I say it's proof that you're a Microsoft
user. - comment by deshi777 on experts-exchange.com