NTP Problems Redux

Gavin McDonald gavitron at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 17:39:43 UTC 2005

Just to summarize the problem I had been having with NTP;

It did turn out to be a configuration issue;

I made several suggested changes to the ntp.conf file, and time has
been in sync on all 4 servers ever since.  My final, working config is
as follows:

(09:54 server1:~) grep -v ^$ /etc/ntp.conf|grep -v ^#
restrict default nomodify
server <ip of local NTP1>
server <ip of local NTP2>
server 0.ca.pool.ntp.org
server 1.ca.pool.ntp.org
server 2.ca.pool.ntp.org
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
broadcastdelay  0.008
authenticate no

I think that the time server was trying unsuccessfully to authenticate the
NTP servers, since all I did was remove the 'keys' directive, and add
'authenticate no'.

Thanks for everyone who offered their advice, regardless of how they
positioned their posting. ;)

-G