complete backup and restore over network

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Apr 20 15:06:10 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 03:05:30PM +0100, Anish Mathew wrote:
> Is there any way to take a complete  backup(including
> partion info) of a linux system over the network onto
> another system and restore the same . Every thing has
> to be done over the network itself.

If you can do a PXE boot, then you can certainly do an install.  I
believe that Veritas NetBackup's Bare Metal Restore product is close to
being able to do a full PXE-based recovery from a NetBackup backup
image.  If you're not running NetBackup though, that won't help you
much.

> Since we have some blades running 7.3 and EL 3 linux
> there is no Floppy or cd option to boot and restore.

Many blade offerings have a virtual CD option.  Would that work for you?
The Compaq ILO options allow virtual CDs too.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org