USB Drive not being installed on RH 9

Shiraz Baig shiraz_baig at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 12:59:38 UTC 2005

My USB drive is kingston 120 MB. It is formatted
as FAT. It is perfectly working on MS Windows. But
it is giving trouble in Linux RH 9. Sometimes,
it works, sometimes it does not. Lately, it has
completely stopped working. Though, when I use
the same slot and use it in Windows, it works.

Here are some diagonostic steps that I took.

Step:1   dmesg | grep usb
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2

Step 2: lsmod | grep usb
usb-storage    69332   0  (unused)
usbcore        78784   0  [uhci usb-storage]
scsi_mod      107160   3  [usb-storage sg sr_mod
ide-scsi]

Step 3: Then I insert the USB drive. Suddenly the
screen displays:
  hub.c: already running port 2 disabled by
         hub (EMI?) , re-enabling..
  hub.c: cannot enable port 2 of hub 1, disabling
         port.
  hub.c: maybe usb cable is bad.

  And I am not returned to the prompt. I hit the
<enter> key to come to the prompt.

Step 4: I try to install the usb drive by the command
        # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /usbdrv
        mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device.
So, it does not get installed.

Another curious thing happens. On my computer(Laptop)
I have one hard drive and two partitions. One is C and
the other one is E. (There is no D). I have my CDROM
on F. Now, I happen to have two USB drives, both
Kingston. The one which is working in Linux, when
installed in windows, installs itslef as G. While the
one that does not work in Linux, when installed in
Windows, installs itslef as D. Why do they take on
different drive names. I do not know. I do not install
them simultaneously. I install them one by one.

Any suggestions, how to make it work in the Windows.