nntps ports through firewall

Bill Tangren bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil
Mon Apr 25 17:08:41 UTC 2005

I run an nntp server (inn), on a RHEL ES4 machine, behind a firewall
(that I don't control). I have configured the server to accept secure
(SSL) connections on port 563. Access to this server on this port behind
the firewall works fine. I asked the firewall admin to open port 563 for
nntps traffic. He opened port 563 for tcp traffic only. From outside the
firewall, I cannot get access to the news server.

Does anyone know if it is necessary to allow udp traffic as well for inn
to work over SSL?

Thanks!
Bill Tangren