i just did a rm -rf /*r as root!!!

Patrick Campbell PCampbell at ourvacationstore.com
Tue Apr 26 22:41:01 UTC 2005

Ed Wilts <> wrote:
> One thing that still confuses me is how you only deleted /usr/bin when
> the command you gave us would have deleted a lot more than that.
>
> --
> Ed Wilts, RHCE
> Mounds View, MN, USA
> mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org
> Member #1, Red Hat Community Ambassador Program

Maybe he hit cntrl-c.  rm -rf /*r would go in order, on our RedHat machines
the first dir that fits that match is /usr/bin.

I put my backups in /backups even though it might not be conventional, when
you hit rm -rf / and have 18 gigs of backups, you get a few seconds to
realize what you've done, hit cntrl-c and move on...

--
Patrick Campbell
OurVacationStore.com