Root sudo? (was Re: Cron Job Failure)

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Apr 27 00:34:39 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 05:28:20PM -0400, Allen Chen wrote:
> Mike Burger wrote:
>
> >On Tue, April 26, 2005 12:50 pm, Allen Chen said:
> >

> >>I got another problem with RedHat 9.  The sudo doesn't work any more
> >>with root. It hangs. But it still works with other users.
> >>
> >Realizing, up front, that this doesn't answer your question, I do have
> >ask...why would you bother using sudo as root?  The whole point of sudo is
> >to be able to run commands as root...if you're already root, why would you
> >need to use sudo?
> >
> I'm not using sudo with root. The problem is that the php script forks a
> process using sudo.

You stated above that sudo hangs when running as root.  Now you're
saying that it hangs when run as nobody (or whatever your php script is
running as).  Please describe exactly what the problem is you're having
so that we can have some sort of clue as to how to help you.

Do the symptoms change if you run the script interactively instead of
from a web browser?

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA