MySQL

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Apr 27 14:32:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:12:21AM -0400, Shane Presley wrote:
> Does anyone run MySQL on your RedHat server?

Yup.

> If so, did you use the package from the RHN, or directly from mysql.com?

>From RHN.

> I notice RHN supplies mysql-3.23.58, but MySQL is up to 5.x, with 4.1
> being considered the stable release version.
>
> Any idea why RHN is so behind?  Has anyone used the binaries from mysql.com?

Red Hat typically does not do feature releases within a single version
of their product.  So, RHEL 3 has mysql 3.23, but RHEL 4 has mysql 4.1.

I would guess that mysql 3.23 was the stable mysql release in October,
2003, when RHEL 3 came out.

There will always be cases where RHEL is not up to the latest rev.
That's why it's a lot more stable than some other distributions.

FWIW, my production server running mysql 3.23 is running without any
issues - there is no reason for me to upgrade at this time.  My desktop
is based on RHEL 4 sources and is running 4.1.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org