MySQL

Chris redhat-list at dotcomdesigners.com
Wed Apr 27 17:29:25 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Reynolds" <redhat-list at hyperbole-software.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:23 AM
Subject: Re: MySQL

> Shane Presley wrote:
>
>>I notice RHN supplies mysql-3.23.58, but MySQL is up to 5.x, with 4.1
>>being considered the stable release version.
>>
>>Any idea why RHN is so behind?

RHN is not behind - there are just simple licensing issues with mySQL 4.1
and above.  Under the new terms they implemented, one is no longer allowed
to "bundle" mySQL with other applications, operating systems, etc.  You can
still download it from mySQL web site, but for any commercial use or
distribution or re-distribution, there are various licensing fees involved.
I'm not a lawyer so I can't tell you for sure what RH can and cannot do, but
you can read the new license agreements on mySQL web site for further
details.

Chris