Entries for /etc/sysctl.conf and file size limits

Debbie Tropiano debbiet at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 28 18:58:14 UTC 2005

Ed -

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 06:44:17PM -0500, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 05:53:18PM -0500, Debbie Tropiano wrote:
> > We're running kernel 2.6.6 and having issues with file size limits
> > (on some of our systems, the users are not able to create files
> > larger than 2G .. yes, we have very large files).  I've looked and
> > looked but can't see where this is set (and I've already checked
> > ulimit but those values are set at unlimited).
>
> It's likely an application issue.  To verify that you can create a 2GB
> file on the file system, simply do the following:
>
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/u01/foo bs=1M count=2500
>
> That will create a 2.5GB file.

Thanks, but I think it's NFS related actually.  I got more information from
my user and they're using dd to copy the files but across NFS mounts.  And
what's even stranger is that we're only seeing the problem on two of our
five Linux systems.

Thanks again,
Debbie
--
| Debbie Tropiano                            |  debbiet at arlut.utexas.edu   |
| Environmental Sciences Laboratory          |     +1 512 835 3367 w       |