Entries for /etc/sysctl.conf and file size limits

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Fri Apr 29 11:39:28 UTC 2005

Debbie Tropiano wrote:

>Hello -
>
>We're running kernel 2.6.6 and having issues with file size limits
>(on some of our systems, the users are not able to create files
>larger than 2G .. yes, we have very large files).  I've looked and
>looked but can't see where this is set (and I've already checked
>ulimit but those values are set at unlimited).
>
>My thought is that I need to set something in /etc/sysctl.conf, but
>I can't find anything that documents all of the possible entries that
>one can make.  Is there something?
>
>Any help would be appreciated,
>Debbie

Most probably you have a problem with an application program which
processes the big files. The 2.6 kernel itself can process large (>2GB)
files without problem, however any program which tries to work with such
files should be written with the support of large files.

Alexey Fadyushin.
Brainbench MVP for Linux
http://www.brainbench.com