ipsec

Steve Buehler steve at ibapp.com
Fri Apr 29 13:08:28 UTC 2005

	I am stumped here and am hoping that somebody here can help.  I have a
RHEL 3 box at one location and they want to setup an IPSec VPN to an
Windows 2003 server at another location.  We have tried different things
and nothing seems to work.  The other Windows server is sitting behind a
Cisco Router that would be doing the IPSec.  For some reason, the two
networks just can't talk through a VPN.
	The RHEL 3 box can PPTP VPN out to other systems.  We have even setup a
windows box (2000) that can PPTP VPN into the RHEL box.  But the Windows
2003 server can't VPN to the RHEL box and the RHEL box can't PPTP VPN to
the Windows 2003 server.  But the windows 2000 server can PPTP VPN into
either of these two servers.
	We have tried to get a netgear vpn router to work and it never connects
from here (where the RHEL box is).  The person at the other end setup the
netgear vpn box to connect to his Cisco router and got it to work.  He then
shipped it to me and it can't connect from here.  When he set it up, he was
NOT on the same network as the Cisco router.  He then bought another
netgear router and tried it again, just in case.  He could get it to work
from his location, but not from here.
	Here in Kansas I am on a dsl line through SBC Global.  The other end is in
a high end data center in California.  I am not exactly sure of the setup,
but it is definitely not dsl or T1.  I think it is throught OC3's and
better.  Anyway, I have to use PPPOE to connect my network here with 14
IP's through the dsl line.  We are wondering if that could mess things
up?  All systems on my network here have to have One-to-One NAT if they
want to be accessed from the outside on a public IP.  On this end, I am now
running an Linksys RV082 Firewall Gateway with the latest Firmware installed.