minimal install

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Apr 29 23:38:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 01:50:14PM -0500, hanfamily at earthlink.net wrote:
> I have a dual boot that was windows / RH7.2 computer
> the RH7.2 was used for firewall masquerade and pppd as an
> internet gateway. Unfortunately the keyboard port died so
> I have to replace it. I am not sure I still have all the
> cds with the patches around so. Would people recommend
> installing fedora core, RHEL, somethingelse ? Can you
> buy box set of redhat these day office depot used to carry
> them but they didn't have them when I was in today and
> I have dial up.

What you had before was an unsupported release so I assume you're
comfortable with that and don't need to pay for a support contract.
That means that you could survive with either Fedora Core or a
distribution based on the RHEL sources.  Personally, I'd go with
something like this - it has the expected long-term lifespan of
RHEL and doesn't change as often.  It's not leading edge, but then it's
not bleeding edge like Fedora Core is.  Red Hat doesn't have a product
any more that's in the middle like Red Hat Professional Workstation.

Fedora Core will get you frequent updates for both patches and features but
with a dial-up, it could be a bit painful unless you really strip the
package list.  With a RHEL source-based distribution, you'll minimize
the frequency of updates.  It won't be RHEL - it won't have the ISV
support (and in fact, some 3rd party applications like Oracle may not
even install), but it should do what you want.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org