Email Server Solution

Steve Buehler steve at ibapp.com
Wed Aug 3 13:09:25 UTC 2005

At 02:12 PM 8/2/2005, you wrote:

> > >Do you mean the IP address of the sender?
> >
> > No.  We have several hundred IP based domains on one of the
> > servers in question.  When they pop into their domain on the
> > server, it still goes out from the primary IP of the server
> > instead of the IP of the domain they pop into.  Ensim (the
> > control panel we use) virtualizes the domains into their own
> > server, for the most part.  Some things are not though.  And
> > sendmail is one of the things that isn't virtualized.  I know
> > it can be done for a large price tag, but we would have to
> > change to many things to do that.  Basically we would have to
> > lose our Ensim control panel.  Which might not be a bad idea.
> >  But the other solution that we found was going to cost us
> > about $50K and that is not an option.  No I don't remember
> > what the other solution is/was.  It has been about a year ago
> > that we found it and at that price, we just passed right over it.
>
>Can't you modify your sendmail.cf file to use masquerading for those
>servers?

Will masquerading rewrite it so that all email for a particular
domain will go back out from the IP address of the domain instead of
the server?  We use an Ensim control panel that might overwrite the
sendmail.cf file when I do an upgrade.  I think they have made it so
that it won't do that anymore though.  I have never done
masquerading, I will have to read up on it unless someone here can
tell me what to add to the sendmail.mc file or the sendmail.cf
file.  It would be nice to have it in the sendmail.mc file so that
whenever the sendmail.cf file is rebuilt, I won't have to edit it again.

Thanks
Steve