Unable to telnet to port 110

Raj Atwal atwalrs at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 20:45:58 UTC 2005

I have configured pop3 and postfix on my RH server, but I am unable to make a pop3 connection from any client to the server.

On the server itself I can successfully telnet to the pop3 port 110.

eg:
telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK POP3 localhost.localdomain v2003.83rh server ready
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

However from another linux client I am unable to telnet to port 110, I recieve the following error

telnet 192.168.205.224 110
Trying 192.168.205.224...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

Yet I can telnet to other ports from my client server to the same linux postfix/pop3 server.

IPTables is turned off and I have tried using the /etc/hosts.allow file by setting the following

ipop3d: ALL

with no luck. I ran tcpdump and on the pop3 server and I can see my client linux machine attempting to make a connection on port 110  but beyond that I don't where I am being denied access.

Any suggestions?