Email Gateway solution

Steve Buehler steve at ibapp.com
Wed Aug 10 14:33:09 UTC 2005

I have posted something similar here before, but need something a
little different.  I have posted this to the comp.mail.sendmail
newsgroup also.  Hopefully I will get a response between these two
resources.  I am using RHEL AS 4 as a mail gateway that I am trying to setup.

I am trying to setup a mail gateway using Sendmail.  We have a
server2 (with 200 domains) that we would like to lighten the load on
by having all outgoing mail go through a mail gateway for virus
checking.  This is already working.  Running SpamAssassin,
MailScanner and ClamAV along with all of the websites really slows
things down and that is why we are wanting to do this.  What I now
want to do is to setup the mail gateway as the incoming mail server
for all domains on server2, virus and spam check the emails, then
send them on to server2 for local delivery.  I don't know how to set
this part up and was hoping somebody here could help me.  I can setup
the MX records to point to the gateway, but don't know how to setup
the gateway to send all of the mail onto server2 after checking for
spam and viruses.

I know of one company that has a series of mail servers.  server1
receives all incoming mail and checks for spam deleting any
spam.  Then it sends it to server2 which checks for viruses and
deletes them when found.  Then it sends it to server3 for pickup by
the clients.  Of course they won't tell me their setup, but they will
do the setup on my server for a very LARGE fee.  About $3,000.  I
could setup a separate email server altogether for that.  The problem
is our control panel, Ensim.  So to keep from having to teach our
clients how to use a separate server to send and receive email on, it
would be easier if we can do it without their knowledge in the background.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve