RHEL4 vnc-server package dependency problems

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sun Aug 14 18:07:38 UTC 2005

Frappy John enlightened us with the following gems on 08/14/2005 06:48 PM:
> Hi. I'm running RHES 4.1 and I've installed the vnc-server
> (vnc-server-4.0-8.1) via up2date but seem to be getting dependency
> problems.
>
> The problem in a nutshell:
>
> On running vncserver, I get:
> error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
> and then three "command not found" errors
>
> I would like to know:
> --which package creates the "xserver" directory in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/?
[stuart at mail ~]$ rpm --redhatprovides /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver
xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.EL.13.6
> --which package provides "xsetroot"?
[stuart at mail ~]$ rpm --redhatprovides /usr/X11R6/bin/xsetroot
xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.EL.13.6
> --why Red Hat is distributing the vnc-server with these dependency
> problems and what we can do to correct them?
>
> The details:
>
> Upon running vncserver for the first time, I get the following in its
> (newly created) log file:
>
> Xvnc version 4.0 - built Nov 24 2004 16:08:56
> Underlying X server release 60801000, The X.Org Foundation
>
> Sat Aug 13 02:33:58 2005
<snip>
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,
> removing from list!
do these directories exist?
if not, they may well come with
fonts-xorg-base-6.8.2-1

> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'
service xfs status
or even
rpm -q xfs
> /root/.vnc/xstartup: line 9: xsetroot: command not found
> /root/.vnc/xstartup: line 11: xterm: command not found
> /root/.vnc/xstartup: line 12: twm: command not found
> vncconfig: unable to open display "my.server.net:1"
> ---END LOG FILE

this may seem like a silly question, but do you have a fully-fledged
graphical environment running on this box already?
running all the above queries on my box it looks like you are missing a
number of essential packages, not least of which are
fonts-xorg-base
xfs
xorg-x11
xorg-x11-libs

basically it suggests that you don't have X installed.

--
Stuart Sears RHCE RHCX
If you don't see why, please stay the fuck away from my code.