magic sysrq with minicom

Alvarez, Angelo CIV NAVPACMETOCCEN JTWC angelo.alvarez at navy.mil
Thu Aug 18 03:15:45 UTC 2005

I have setup minicom for serial console access to a system which is experiencing random lockups. I activated sysrq and am able to send Alt-SysRq commands at the system's virtual console. With minicom, I can login to the target system, but I have not been able to send magic SysRq commands. According to other posts, press Ctl-A F (you will see "sending break") then within 5 seconds hit the command key (t,m,or p) and I should see trace output just like I see via the virtual console. I have tried sending the command key stroke immediately after the Ctl-A F. within 5 seconds, etc. but no luck. Am I executing the keystrokes correctly? Is there something else I need to set on the target system (/etc/inittab) so that I can send the magic sysrq via the serial console. This is the entry in the target system's /etc/inittab:

s0:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L -f /etc/issueserial 9600 ttyS0 vt100

Thanks,
angelo