Automatically start programs at boot

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Aug 18 11:45:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 11:01:54AM +0300, Ozgur Ates wrote:

> I have a Redhat 8.0 installed linux machine. I would like to start license
> programs automatically at boot-up. How can I configure my machine?

The best option:

# cd /etc/rc.d/init.d
# cp -p atd yourlicensestartup
# vi yourlicensestartup
  - make all the changes required so that your programs can start, stop,
    etc
  - determine when in the startup it should start up, when in the
    shutdown it should stop, and what levels it should run in
  - edit the chkconfig entries near the top of the file
# chkconfig yourlicensestartup --add
# chkconfig yourlicensestartup on
# service yourlicensestartup start
# service yourlicensestartup status

This makes your your license startup look like any of the rest of the
startup routines to make it easy for you to find and future sysadmins to
understand.

Alternatively, edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local and put your entries in there.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org