Setting 'nice' level for specific binary

Chris redhat-list at dotcomdesigners.com
Wed Aug 24 02:58:03 UTC 2005

Is there a way to globally force a lower priority ('nice' level) on a
specific binary executable, that technically can be called from any cgi-bin
directory on a single server, where each copy is owned by a different
hosting user?  The filename is unique so we can assume any requests to this
same filename are for the same binary file.  I'd like to experiment with
re-nicing a particular hosted application that at times creates such
incredibly high CPU loads that everything else stops responding (httpd,
sshd, etc) and you can't even log on to kill these processes.  This
typically requires a hard reboot to get things working again.  Because of
that I implemented scripts that monitor server load and when things get
hairy (server loads exceeding 100+) they stop certain services to give this
particular app a chance to exit gracefully, which works for the most part.
But it can still take 60-120+ seconds at this type of loads to do anything.
Would be nice to run this particular app, many copies of it that is, at
lower nice level so we can at least SSH to the server when the load gets
this high.  I'd rather have my scripts send me an SMS message when things
get hairy but be able to log on via SSH and at least manually control this
app at that point, rather than mucking with other services to free up
resources.

Thank you,

Chris