log messages

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Fri Aug 26 07:23:23 UTC 2005

If you need to see all messages which the kernel _actually tries to print_ during operation on your computer you will need to set the priority for kernel messages (facility 'kern') in /etc/syslog.conf to 'debug'.

If you need to see the text of all _possible_ messages which kernel may print (in every siituation, not only on your computer), you may search in the kernel source code for the string 'printk' (this is the function which is user in the kernel to print all messages). You may also need to use C preprocessor on the source code before searching because that function is frequently used or redefined via #define commands.

Alexey Fadyushin.
Brainbench MVP  for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com