firewall

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Mon Aug 1 18:15:55 UTC 2005

On Aug 1, 2005, at 11:12 AM, Marco A. Ramos wrote:

> Talking about this topic, now and since 4 year ago we are using the
> firewall
> (IPF) in a OpenBSD servers to protect the net from Internet and
> Iptables to
> protect the inside servers, according with the information in that
> days

You're 3 years out of support.  You should be using 3.6 (or newer)
with PF.  IPF is a piece of shit (excuse my french).

> OpenBSD looks more secure than Linux

By default, yes.  Nevertheless, it's apples and oranges.  Either one
can be made *more* secure by a competent sysadmin.

> “Only one remote hole in the default install, in more than 8 years!”
> Publicity on www.openbsd.com
>
> But Linux it much powerfully then OpenBSD.

Care to elaborate?

> My point it’s to put on the table a discussion about the advantages
> between
> Iptables on Linux and IPF on OpenBSD.

Don't even think about using IPF in this discussion.  Feel free to
compare Linux netfilter/iptables and OpenBSD/PF.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting