IP alias over a bonded interface

Anu Matthew anu.matthew at bms.com
Tue Aug 2 23:20:55 UTC 2005

Greetings..!!

I have eth0 and eth1 bonded together as bond0 -- Works good, everything
is fine, redundancy is good etc.

I created an alias bond0:0 and assigned another IP in the same subnet to
it. This new IP is now pingable from other systems, other subnets etc.

Okay, here it gets interesting:

Traceroutes to any hosts from bond0 succeeds, but traceroutes using
bond0:0 fails.

[root at linux1 root]# traceroute linux12 -i bond0
traceroute to linux12  (A.B.C.D), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
 1  linux12 (A.B.C.D)  0.067 ms  0.029 ms  0.019 ms

[root at linux1 root]# traceroute linux12 -i bond0:0
setsockopt: No such device
unable to bind to device: bond0:0

Any ideas on why I cannot traceroute using bond0:0? (BTW, if it were on
a non_bonded interface, say, eth0:0, it works.).

Thanks in advance,

--~~AM