Network Teaming / Bonding

Smith, Albert Albert.Smith at genexservices.com
Wed Aug 3 20:15:17 UTC 2005

Matter of fact I setup the bonding today but not for the usual of
virtual addressing but it should work the same though

vi /etc/modules.conf
Add
alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 mode=1 miimon=2

Reboot

lsmod |grep bond

and you should see the bonding module loaded

Then

cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
touch ifcfg-bond0
touch ifcfg-bond0:1

ifcfg-bond0 = your primary address
ifcfg-bond0:1 = secondary address

vi ifcfg-bond0

DEVICE=bond0
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=x.x.x.x
NETMASK=x.x.x.x
NETWORK=x.x.x.x
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no

vi ifcfg-bond0:1

DEVICE=bond0:1
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=x.x.x.x
NETMASK=x.x.x.x
NETWORK=x.x.x.x
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no

vi ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
USERCTL=no
ONBOOT=yes

vi ifcfg-eth1

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=none
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
USERCTL=no
ONBOOT=yes

vi ifcfg-eth0:1

DEVICE=eth0:1
BOOTPROTO=none
MASTER=bond0:1
SLAVE=yes
USERCTL=no
ONBOOT=yes

vi ifcfg-eth1:1

DEVICE=eth1:1
BOOTPROTO=none
MASTER=bond0:1
SLAVE=yes
USERCTL=no
ONBOOT=yes

service network stop
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth1 down
service network restart

You should see the bonding interface come up. Check your dmesg, ethtool
and syslog and you should be ok.

Albert Smith
Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
HPCSA, RHCT