Problem with NIC going inactive upon reboot

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Thu Aug 4 21:06:58 UTC 2005

/etc/modules.conf or (what ever it is in 2.6.x kernel), is the e1000
module shown as an alias?

If not try

alias eth0 e1000

reboot and see if that now works automatically.

If it is there, it suggests a non-standard piece of hardware the
standard linux e1000 module is failing to see (not unknown with embedded
NICS, Broadcom is really bad for this). Try getting a later version of
the kernel if that is possible, if not try Intel's site for the specific
3rd party module and install it in the kernel.

Regards

thing