Problem with NIC going inactive upon reboot

Smith, Albert Albert.Smith at genexservices.com
Thu Aug 4 21:11:36 UTC 2005

If you can reenable the device through xwindows then that tell's me that
the module is there but the onboot flag is incorrectly set.

Edit the ifcfg-ethx (x being the interface to be changed) file under
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

Look for the line that says ONBOOT

It probably has a NO next to it. Change it to a yes.

Then do a services network restart

You will see the device come down and back up.

Albert Smith
Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
HPCSA, RHCT
Genex Services