Unable to telnet to port 110

Raj Atwal atwalrs at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 13:46:55 UTC 2005

Yes I can cofirm I can telnet to 110 on my POP3 server (see output in my original email). I can also confirm that netstat -an shows that the port is open waiting for connections. Everything seems like it is there for my POP3 server to allow remote connections to it, but there is something blocking mym connections and I can't for the life od me figure it out.

Opesh Alkara <opeshalkara at gmail.com> wrote:
Raj,
seems an absurd suggesstion but can you confirm whether your pop3 server is
listening to
192.168.205.224 (i.e.) your ethernet Ip
address.....
I mean have you tried
#telnet 192.168.205.224 110
on your POP3 server....?
Thanks,
Opesh Alkara

On 8/6/05, Raj Atwal wrote:

> I have configured pop3 and postfix on my RH server, but I am unable to
> make a pop3 connection from any client to the server.
>
> On the server itself I can successfully telnet to the pop3 port 110.
>
> eg:
> telnet localhost 110
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> +OK POP3 localhost.localdomain v2003.83rh server ready
> ^]
> telnet> quit
> Connection closed.
>
> However from another linux client I am unable to telnet to port 110, I
> recieve the following error
>
> telnet 192.168.205.224 110
> Trying 192.168.205.224...
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host
>
> Yet I can telnet to other ports from my client server to the same linux
> postfix/pop3 server.
>
> IPTables is turned off and I have tried using the /etc/hosts.allow file by
> setting the following
>
> ipop3d: ALL
>
> with no luck. I ran tcpdump and on the pop3 server and I can see my client
> linux machine attempting to make a connection on port 110 but beyond that I
> don't where I am being denied access.
>
> Any suggestions?

Regards
Opesh Alkara