Router Linux

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Tue Aug 9 16:04:55 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 4:01 am, VIALIDAD wrote:
> The reason for the present is to consult on the configuration of ruter
> linux.
> The problem that I have is that not the IP that I must assign to the
> network
> interface eth0 (network public or the one that is connected with modem
> Cisco
> 677).  The other interface (eth1) this connected to the private network
> and
> assigns IP to him 192.168.0.11 mask 255.255.255.0 the IP that assigns
> the
> ISP is dynamic and the IP of modem Cisco is 10.0.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0.
>
> Concretely as it is the IP I must assign to eth0 of router linux?
>
> Marcelo.

Hi,
I have dynamic IP on my dsl modem, here is how Ihandle it:

First, here are a few lines from my iptables rules:
(the variable $EXT_IP extracts the dynamic IP)
EXT_IF="eth0"
DMZ_IF="eth1"
LAN_IF="eth2"
LOOPBACK="lo"
#
EXT_IP="`ifconfig $EXT_IF | grep inet | cut -d : -f 2 | cut -d \  -f 1`"
DMZ_IP="192.168.2.1"
LAN_IP="192.168.1.254"
<...snip>

Then I run a cron every 20 minuites to check if it changes,
if it does I update my hostname, restart IPtables and update my DynamicDNS
(these cahnges could be automated but my IP only changes about once a year)
I'll post that script if needed.

Hope that helps.
Pete

--