up2date / yum local repository

Carl Reynolds redhat-list at hyperbole-software.com
Fri Aug 12 16:15:54 UTC 2005

mnikhil m wrote:

>Hi
>
>Has any one implemented a local yum repository or redcarpet kind for RHEL v3?
>
>can someone please redirect me to the steps that you have taken.
>though I have up2date rhn with RHEL,My core wish is to maintain a
>local repository server making the clients connect a local server for
>patches and updates instead of connecting to rhn everytime an up2date
>is run.
>Or is having a local repository possible with up2date program ( I have
>heard that in most cases up2date has support for yum repositories)
>
>Any Suggestions/Comments?
>Thanks,
>Nikhil

To build a local yum repository, try these:
http://www.charlescurley.com/yum/repository.html
http://fedoranews.org/alex/tutorial/yum/

up2date uses yum or apt depending on how you specify the repository in
   /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources

for example you can add a line like:
   yum rpms-stable http://www.repository.com/fedora/3/en/$ARCH/rpms-stable/
to have up2date access rpms at http://www.repository.com/ using yum

or
   apt rpms-stable
http://www.repository.com/fedora/3/en/$ARCH/rpms-stable/ repository-name
to have up2date access rpms at the same location using apt.

Carl.