RHEL yum RHN

Carl Reynolds redhat-list at hyperbole-software.com
Fri Aug 12 19:20:21 UTC 2005

mnikhil m wrote:

>Hi Carl
>
>Thanks for the reply :)
>
>Yes..I know how to setup yum.. and infact I use apt-get for my most
>rpm needs on my small Fedora box...but what I would like to know is
>has anyone done that with Enterprise Linux setup because upon
>purchasing ELs from RedHat,RedHat gives you an entitlement to receive
>the updates from it RHN repository, I was thinking of setting up a
>local repository because, we have many in number of RHEL boxes... and
>to update them..we run up2date on all the boxes...and everytime they
>connect to the internet/redhat network...which I want to avoid(may be
>my bandwidth problem here).I just want to save some time (and money as
>well...) so that whenever there is any need of new package or patch, I
>would consider to fetch it from my local repository server instead of
>going all the way to redhat network,
>
>of the way..I have heard that we can use username/password
>authentication..can that be seen here in yum (RHEL) to get the updates
>from RHN..
>
>may be someone from Redhat should answer it.. ?
>
>On 8/12/05, Carl Reynolds <redhat-list at hyperbole-software.com> wrote:
>

>>mnikhil m wrote:
>>

>>>Hi
>>>
>>>Has any one implemented a local yum repository or redcarpet kind for RHEL v3?
>>>
>>>can someone please redirect me to the steps that you have taken.
>>>though I have up2date rhn with RHEL,My core wish is to maintain a
>>>local repository server making the clients connect a local server for
>>>patches and updates instead of connecting to rhn everytime an up2date
>>>is run.
>>>Or is having a local repository possible with up2date program ( I have
>>>heard that in most cases up2date has support for yum repositories)
>>>
>>>Any Suggestions/Comments?
>>>Thanks,
>>>Nikhil
>>>

>>To build a local yum repository, try these:
>>http://www.charlescurley.com/yum/repository.html
>>http://fedoranews.org/alex/tutorial/yum/
>>
>>up2date uses yum or apt depending on how you specify the repository in
>>  /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
>>
>>for example you can add a line like:
>>  yum rpms-stable http://www.repository.com/fedora/3/en/$ARCH/rpms-stable/
>>to have up2date access rpms at http://www.repository.com/ using yum
>>
>>or
>>  apt rpms-stable
>>http://www.repository.com/fedora/3/en/$ARCH/rpms-stable/ repository-name
>>to have up2date access rpms at the same location using apt.
>>

>>Carl.
>>

>>--

The links I sent you are for building your own yum repository on a local
machine.

Since you are using up2date, you could also run
    up2date-config
    --> Retrieval/Installation
    check "After installation, keep binary packages on disk"

This will cause up2date to keep any rpms it downloads in your "Package
storage directory" (usually /var/spool/up2date).

You can then copy these to the other machines or tell them to look on
the machine you're running as the repository and update their own
systems from there.

I don't understand what you're saying about "username/password
authentication". Maybe someone else can answer that question better than I.

Carl.