RHEL yum RHN

Vladimir Kosovac vkosovac at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 20:41:16 UTC 2005

mnikhil m wrote:> Hi Carl>> Thanks for the reply :)

> > Yes..I know how to setup yum.. and infact I use apt-get for my most
> > rpm needs on my small Fedora box...but what I would like to know is
> > has anyone done that with Enterprise Linux setup because upon
> > purchasing ELs from RedHat,RedHat gives you an entitlement to receive
> > the updates from it RHN repository, I was thinking of setting up a
> > local repository because, we have many in number of RHEL boxes... and
> > to update them..we run up2date on all the boxes...and everytime they
> > connect to the internet/redhat network...which I want to avoid(may be
> > my bandwidth problem here).I just want to save some time (and money as
> > well...) so that whenever there is any need of new package or patch, I
> > would consider to fetch it from my local repository server instead of
> > going all the way to redhat network,
> >
> > of the way..I have heard that we can use username/password
> > authentication..can that be seen here in yum (RHEL) to get the updates
> > from RHN..
> >
> > may be someone from Redhat should answer it.. ?
> >
> > On 8/12/05, Carl Reynolds <redhat-list at hyperbole-software.com> wrote:

Have you considered purchasing RHN Proxy or RHN Satellite service from Red
Hat? If your budget allows, this is by far the best option.

Alternativelly (this is what we do) - one server gets updates in a common
RHN way and once we make sure everything is working, we script/cron rpm
updates on all the other machines. Works for us beautifully, since all
machines have exactly the same configuration.

Not sure how would you go about mixing yum with this and what yum repos you
use. Dag's rpms work for me, since he maintains up2date repo as well.

Hopefully this'll help. Regards,

Vladimr Kosovac
Computer Power Group