How to install a specific package?

erich.iseli at saint-gobain.com erich.iseli at saint-gobain.com
Mon Aug 15 09:43:04 UTC 2005

Hello list,

This question might seem really stupid but I've been trying to find how
Redhat lets me search for a substring of a package name, then list me the
packages it found, lets me check the packages I need and prompt me for the
right CD to install.

- The package manager available on Redhat lets me check some packages and
prompts for the CD(s) BUT doesn't let me search for packages. So if I am
looking for a given library for example, I have to go through the many
categories until eventually I find it. Sometimes I don't even find it
because it is hidden in some arcane place...

- on the shell, I can rpm -iv any package, but to do this, I first need to
go through all the CDs and see on what CD the package is available.

I almost can't believe Redhat doesn't provide a tool which is available on
every distro I've met so far (synaptic on Debian, Mandrake package manager
on now Mandriva or yast on Suse)...

Note: using RHEL4 64 bit.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen - kind regards - Meilleures salutations -
Vriendelijke groeten

Erich Iseli