RHEL3 & RHEL4 and SAN - EVA5000

Finnur Örn Guðmundsson - TM Software Skyggnir fog at t.is
Tue Aug 16 08:16:28 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm running RHEL3 and RHEL4 on IBM Blades (HS20). They are booted of SAN.

I have been wanting to be able to add drives from the SAN on-the-fly. After reading alot of text i came to the conclusion that RHEL4 is not able to do this...yet atleast unless you install the driver from Qlogic, (dont use the come that comes with the RHEL4 kernels)...witch is pretty sad for a enterprise grade distrib....atleast include rescannable san drivers please! ;).

But,

RHEL3 is supposed to be able to do this. I have tried pretty much anything out there as:

scsidev 2.35
rescan-scsi-bus.sh

And here is something i tried:
#!/bin/bash
echo "scsi-qlascan" > /proc/scsi/qla2300/0 (After this i dont see any extra lun if i cat /proc/scsi/qla2300/0)
echo "scsi-qlascan" > /proc/scsi/qla2300/1
echo "scsi add-single-device 0 1 2 3" >/proc/scsi/scsi

The system is running 2.4.21-32.Elsmp.

Using the RHEL3 Qlogic drivers.

The HSV is: EVA 5000.

Has anyone done this on EVA´n´IBM Blades?.......

Is the only way to install another Qlogic driver?

Kær kveðja / Best regards,
Finnur Ö. Guðmundsson
RHCE, Linux+, MCP
System Engineer - System Operations
fog at t.is

TM Software - Skyggnir
Holtasmári 1, IS- 201 Kópavogur, Iceland
tel: + 354 545 3000-fax + 354 545 3001
www.t.is

This e-mail message and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please uphold strict confidentiality and neither read, copy, nor otherwise make use of the content in any way and notify sender immediately, by replying to this message or by sending an e-mail, and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. Any non work related opinions contained in this message are those of the author and are not given or endorsed by TM Software TölvuMyndir through which this message is sent.