RHCT - Do I need RHAS?

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Tue Aug 16 16:53:00 UTC 2005

Cannon, Andrew wrote:
>>Hi All,
>>

> Sorry if this appears twice, our company has just changed email addresses,
> so I wasn't registered when this was first posted:
>

>>I'm thinking of taking the RHCT course, but our company doesn't use
>>anything other than RHWS (v3) for our technical computing needs.  There
>>are three of us who administer the systems; two of us are self taught
>>(with a lot of help from HOWTO and mailing lists ;-) ) and the other has
>>20+years of computing administration experience.  My question is this, do
>>we need to get an ES or AS subscription, or could I just install (and
>>purposefully break) a FC4 system?
>>
>>How much of the RHCT course is based on packages that are only contained
>>in the higher level server packages?
RHCT training is (currently) run on the ES version of RHEL4.
The RHCT syllabus is basically about *local* systems administration -
installing and configuring boxes and attaching them to various network
services. As such there is almost nothing involved which does not apply
to WS.
taking RHCE courses (the next level up) introduces network services and
security, which relies on packages that would not normally be installed
on WS boxen.

Ed is perfectly correct - you could use one of the 'rebuild' distros (or
even Fedora Core) to practise any of the network-based skills if you
decided to go further with training. The tools are broadly identical to
RHEL4 atm.

HTH

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE RHCX
printk(KERN_WARNING "%s: Thanks, I feel much better now!\n", dev->name);