Configuring X windows on RHEL 4

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Tue Aug 16 16:56:02 UTC 2005

James Marcinek wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I've finally been able to setup a RHEL 4 system and I have some issues with the
> X windows. The gui (runlevel 5) does not start and I do not know what CLI
> utilities there are to help troubleshoot. I know that with the Xfree86, one
> could use the redhat-config-xfree86, but I do not know the new tool (if there is
> one). I recall that xfree86 is no longer being used. Any help would be
> appreciated.
exactly what symptoms are you seeing?
is the system attempting to boot into runlevel 5 or are you trying
manually with startx.

try this:
in a terminal, as root:
# system-config-display --reconfig --noui
to regenerate a basic /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
then test with startx and tell us what errors you see. if any.

--
Stuart Sears RHCE RHCX
printk(KERN_WARNING "%s: Thanks, I feel much better now!\n", dev->name);