Automatic disconnect from host feature

Gavin McDonald gavitron at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 19:14:36 UTC 2005

[mailto:redhat-list->bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Jonathan Chen
(jonachen)
>Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 3:40 PM
>To: redhat-list at redhat.com
>Subject: RE: Automatic disconnect from host feature
>

>> Two (or three) thoughts:
>>
>> 1) It depends on how they are connecting.  If you are talking
>> about local
>> sessions, that is far different than say, remote X
>> connections, or even
>> remote connections over VNC, or X tunneled through SSH.
>
>Well I'm talking about using using a regular windows SSH client to
>connect to linux host and also later with X session using FreeNX.
Later, as in "After the ssh is connected"?  Because if you are using
X-forwarding through ssh, then it is still dependant on the ssh connection
terminating unexpectedly.

>> 2) It will probably be service-based timeouts, for example SSH has
>> keepalive=YES  and probably a timeout option as well (man ssh)
>
>I don't believe this works at all.  Where is the setting that says to
>let users be on the system until they log out when they are on the same
>network while from another network, you will be logged off after an
>hour???

try
# man sshd_config
and
# man ssh_config

and look at the following settings
  TCPKeepAlive
  ServerAliveInterval
  ServerAliveCountMax

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have never even heard of a setting
that specifically sets timeouts for remote users only.  If you have seen
a system like this in operation, Go ask the sysadmin how he built it?

That said, perhaps you are looking more for something like Process
accounting?

Regards,
Gavin.