file size limit question

Eris Caffee eris-redhat-list at eldalin.com
Thu Aug 18 16:02:12 UTC 2005

> I am trying to take zip backup of a directory. But, the zip command
> fails once the output file reaches 2G. I am on RHEL AS 3.

Well, 2 gig used to be the maximum size of any file.  The filesystems and
kernel have supported larger files for some time now, but many programs
still do not support it.  (Programs have to be explicitly compiled with
large file support in order to work with files biggger than 2 gig.)

What this means is that the zip command is just not going to work for you
in this case.  You will need to make several smaller zip files instead of
one big one.

Eris Caffee