file size limit question

Mike Klinke mklinke at axsi.com
Thu Aug 18 16:13:45 UTC 2005

On Thursday 18 August 2005 10:49, Nagarjuna Rao Cherukuri wrote:
> I am trying to take zip backup of a directory. But, the zip
> command fails once the output file reaches 2G. I am on RHEL AS 3.

Check the changelog on your zip program to see if it's been changed
to support more than 2G.  For example, on Fedora Core 3:

$ rpm -q --changelog zip

* Mon Jun 21 2004 Lon Hohberger <lhh at redhat.com> 2.3-24

- Extend max file/archive size to 2^32-8193 (4294959103) bytes
- Include better debugging output for configure script

If it's already been changed, perhaps there's some other problem or
still a bug in the utility.

Regards, Mike Klinke