RHEL4 duplicate /proc/net/ip_conntrack_expect

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Fri Aug 19 16:50:37 UTC 2005

On one of my fully patched RHEL4 AS servers I have a duplicate
/proc/net/ip_conntrack_expect showing up in directory listings.  I only
found it because tripwire was complaining, but a directory listing
confirmed it.

$ uname -a
Linux remus.ccac.edu 2.6.9-11.EL #1 Fri May 20 18:17:57 EDT 2005 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
$ ls -li /proc/net | grep ip_conntrack_expect
4026532291 -r--r-----  1 root root 0 Aug 19 12:43 ip_conntrack_expect
4026532291 -r--r-----  1 root root 0 Aug 19 12:43 ip_conntrack_expect
$ ls -li /proc/net/ip_conntrack_expect
4026532291 -r--r-----  1 root root 0 Aug 19 12:43
/proc/net/ip_conntrack_expect

=======

Error Report:

=======

-------

Section: Unix File System

-------

1. Duplicate object encountered.

/proc/net/ip_conntrack_expect

-------

It's good that they seem to have the same inode.  I have tried a 'mount
-o remount /proc' but the duplicate persists.  I also mounted proc
elsewhere and the duplicate shows there as well.  So far this doesn't
seem to be a serious problem, but what's going on?

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer III
CCAC - College Office
412-237-3086